Chelsea, college student, 22
I began by
asking Chelsea if she has ever needed an alternative to the vape product she
currently uses and if so how she went about finding another product to fit her
needs. She responded that she normally would go to a local smoke shop and
compare the different products and their prices. She also said her best source of
information other than the internet is the smoke shop worker who helped her make
an informative decision and answered any questions that she couldn’t find
answers to online. I asked her what is the most important factor when it comes
to making a decision price or quality and she said that if the quality is a lot
better and the price isn’t outrageous she’s going to go with quality but she
did admit that the majority of the time price is a deciding factor. Being a
college student, she doesn’t have money to just blow on trivial items so for
her price is most important then quality but she also said that popularity plays
a factor too. Chelsea also mentioned that she liked going in person to make a
purchase so she can see the product as well as other similar ones before making
a decision not to mention she lives relatively close to a smoke shop. I asked
her how she knows she made the right purchase and she said that this is
something she usually knows as she is buying it because she has done her research
and by the time she is buying a product she knows she has made the right
decision.
Derrick, college student, 19
Derrick
began by explaining that he has lost his JUUL a couple of times so he had to
decide to either just replace it and buy a new one or buy a vape product from a
different company. I asked him what his process for learning was about other
vape products and he said that he mostly looked online but also when to the
smoke shop to ask more questions and get more information in person. I asked
which method he preferred, and he said that in person was better because he was
able to see the products and also get more information about them. Derrick said
he wasn’t opposed to buying online but its just easier and more convenient to
go in person. Also buying in person allowed him to see all the products and
compare models before making a final purchase. When I asked him what was the
most important factor when choosing an alternative he said price is probably
most important but also quality because this can affect taste too while vaping.
I also asked Derrick how he knows he made the “right” purchase and he said that
this is something he usually figures out a couple days after the purchase and
this let’s him know if he will every buy the product again.
Thomas, college student, 19
I asked
Thomas to explain his research process when considering buying an alternative product
and he said that he does the majority of his research online looking at YouTube
video reviews of products and just Googling products. But when it comes time to
make an actual purchase, he goes in person just because its quicker and cheaper
than waiting 5-7 days for a product and paying for shipping. The factor most
important to Derrick is quality because he said he’d rather have a product that
is dependable and reliable that costs a few extra bucks than one that is cheap
and he has to replace every few weeks. I asked him how he knows he made a good
purchase and like Chelsea he said this is something he knows before even buying
the product. Thomas said his mind is usually made up after he has done his
research.
Looking
back on the interviews I conducted I was surprised that many people prefer doing
their research on a product in person. Being able to see the product and
compare it to others proved to be a very important aspect for potential
customers. And that these interactions
during the research stage are pivotal in their decisions because as seen multiple
people from my interviews had their minds made about their potential purchase
by the end of doing all their research not after buying it. Another key aspect
that I learned about in these interviews was that man younger people rely
heavily on product reviews to help them decide which product to buy and videos
like these could ultimately end up swaying their decision.
I enjoyed reading the interviews you were able to have. I definitely agree that doing research in person is a lot more efficient than online. Sometimes it's better to see and hold the product in your hand and get feedback from an employee. When ordering online, you can read descriptions and reviews but you don't really get the full experience of the product. As college students, I understand that price is important. But I like that they also consider the quality. They want something that lasts. Great job with the interviews!
ReplyDeleteReading your post, I was also surprised to learn that they prefer buying in stores rather than online given that your customer segment is young and typically prefer doing research online. However, I also learned in my research that my customer segment rely a lot on customer reviews for products in my market. This definitely shows how important the internet is in the buying process even if people end up making their purchases in person.
ReplyDeleteHey there, overall throughout your post there was a small pattern I picked up, people usually are willing to buy from smoke shops, but like to get their information online. So if you are going to make a product to appeal to this audience, maybe make a really good, easy to navigate website giving them all the information they need while also providing them with options to buy in store while also it being accessible online. Cheers!
ReplyDelete