Coming into this course I was a bit worried because I had heard from other students that the weekly assignments for this class are often tedious and long. But I think the best way to prepare yourself for this is to plan. At the beginning of each week look at the assignments and their requirements so you know what needs t be done ahead of time and schedule times throughout the week that you will dedicate to working on the assignments as well as watching lectures. Another big obvious thing is don’t procrastinate! I hate watching online lectures but one of the best habits I’ve started this semester is splitting the lectures in half and watching one half one day and the other half the next day. One moment when I felt like giving up on this class was about two or three weeks ago when I saw the requirements for an assignment. I saw that the assignment had like six parts and I had to interview five people. But rather than just not do I planned out when I would look for interview people and I spread the assignment out over a couple days so I wouldn’t stress myself out. I think that before this moment I did have a tenacious attitude already instilled in myself but it was a matter of pushing myself to be better and do better that helped contribute to my tenacity. If I could give a student three tips I would tell them: 1.) Get a planner and write your assignments and your due dates for the next month and do it every month for the rest of the semester. 2.) Don’t think you have to watch a 2-hour lecture in one sitting take a break and come back later. 3.)Don’t let a lengthy assignment intimidate you go in with positive mindset and get it done.

I definitely agree that putting a plan in place can really take off some of the stress of the course load. That way, you know when things are due and you can break up the assignments so they are not so overwhelming. I like your lecture idea of splitting them up. I agree that it's hard to just sit and listen for over an hour. So I like your idea and will definitely implement that in my own life! I am so glad that you are pushing through and developing new ways to get things done. I hope the rest of this course is great for you! Nice job!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your reflection of the class so far and I'm glad you have found a way to manage the workload of the course. I really like your recommendation of splitting the lecture up into two parts. Currently, I will watch one until I get distracted and I end up splitting it up into four or five parts. I think that disciplining myself to sit down and watch it in two parts would be a much more productive way to watch the lectures. I will definitely be taking your advice for the future!
ReplyDeleteHey there Katelyn, I enjoyed the concept of setting up a plan to sort out your assignments and not overwhelm yourself. It is always important to address the issue of procrastination especially if you know that it is something you struggle with. I think personally I would not be able to split up the lectures, as it would make me more inclined to procrastinate. But hey, do what helps you the most.
ReplyDelete