Thursday, February 20, 2020

Assignment 11A- Idea Napkin No. 1




I am a soon to be college graduate and although I have not been in the “real world” yet I know I have some qualities and skills that are very important. I would consider myself very hardworking, dedicated, organized, persistent, and detail oriented. After working for my mother’s insurance agency as a customer service representative I think that has equipped me with a lot of the skills I described above. But most importantly that job showed me how to communicate and create a relationship with customers and those that are potential customers. In terms of my business concept I see this being a game changer especially since nicotine addiction has been something that has plagued us for years and before the introduction of these vape-like products we had nearly eradicated it. My hopes for this opportunity are that it not only helps people to end their addictions but also helps to improve their health. I would also like to see this product be used outside in countries in Europe because after visiting there I saw that not only did a lot of people smoke cigarettes but a lot of them were young adults. My plan is to offer to people a vape product that does not contain toxins harmful to the body and is nicotine free so as not to supplement an addiction they may already have. When marketing this product, I plan to target not just younger adults ages 18-25 but also those 25+ because often times those addicted to nicotine containing products begin at a young age and use them for the rest of their lives. There is no specific race or gender as anyone can become addicted, but I would use some of my resources to speak with cardiologist to inform them of my product so that if they think a patent might be a potential candidate they could refer me. But a major common theme here for each customer is that they either want to quit using nicotine-containing products or their health is at risk. I think that customers will genuinely care about this product because the vast majority of people being affected by these newfound vape products are young children. Daughters, sons, nieces, nephews, etc. are becoming addicted to nicotine which had been nearly removed from our generation. And many of them aren’t even 18 yet. I think a major thing that sets me apart from other companies producing vape products is that I care about my customers’ health. These companies have produced products that seem fun and better for you but in reality are still the equivalent to smoking a pack of cigarettes and have many toxins that are harmful to the body.

            I do think these elements fit together and could create a very strong product to help my potential customers. The only thing I worry about is reception. Products like JUULs have becoming so popular within the college community I might find it a bit difficult to get people to put those down and use my product. Another thing I’ve noticed is that many of these college/high school students using these products are in denial about their addiction so I think another aspect of my company will be to inform the general public. Another thing that I think my weaken my product is that for years people have been told that vape is better for them than cigarettes so convincing them that this is actually not true may prove to be a bit difficult as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katelyn, I think this was a very insightful idea napkin. I think it is true that a position in customer service would help you develop many skills that only come with practice. Customer relationships are so underrated. It seems like you have identified two markets that are split by age. Each segment would be buying your product for different reasons: one as an alternative to vaping, and one as an alternative to quit smoking. Overall, you did a great job, and I can see more clearly what your business is about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Katelyn! I think that this post is really well detailed and definitely hashes out the appeal of your product and the group to market it to. The age range you selected is exactly the people that are affected by JUUL and Nicotine use. Targeting those affected by the new wave of nicotine addiction while also paying mind to those in older age groups is key.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I really enjoyed reading this because you explained it well and thoroughly. I agree that nicotine addiction is a very pressing matter in today's society. You covered all the necessary areas and I think your product would sell very well. I believe that you truly do care about your customer's health and that is what sets you apart. Most companies just want your money and do not care about how their product or service affects you. Great job on this assignment!

    ReplyDelete