For this
assignment I chose to use age as my market segment and for my interviews I
spoke with people who fell in the range 18-25.
Alec,
22
Speaking with Alec I learned that he
does use vape products regularly and not just in social settings. When asked if
he thinks he might have a nicotine addiction he said he does not think so
however he does feel a bit dependent on vaping. I asked him how often he vapes
and he said that he uses it every day and it has gotten to the point that his
friends have suggested that he stop. I asked if he vapes around his parents and
he said that they do know that he uses vape products and don’t approve of it.
When asked about his health Alec said that he feels fine but his doctor back
home has suggested he stop. He also explained that he has tried to stop using
vape but finds it hard because of he is slightly dependent on it. I asked if he
knows about the materials used to make these vape products and how they affect
your body and he said he didn’t know much but was sure they were better than
cigarettes
Lexi,19
Lexi is a college student who only
uses her vape product when she goes out with friends to bars or clubs and
sometimes when she’s bored. She explained because she doesn’t use it much and
she has no dependency on the product but does wish that she used it less. I
asked if her use of the product was influenced by her friends and she said that
when she is out yes but when she’s alone she uses it on her own. I asked if she
has considered stopping vaping altogether and she said yes but she does like to
use it when she goes out. When asked about her health in relation to these
products she said she has heard about how people have been hospitalized from vaping
so much and that has been a big factor in her considering stopping. Lexi also
talked about how after hearing about some of the stories she has been doing more
research on vape products to see what is in them and how they can affect her body.
Jace,
20
Jace is also a college student and
vapes very consistently. He said he vapes when out to bars and clubs and also
carries it even when he is on campus or just out doing normal things. I asked if
his usage was influenced by his friends and he said that his friends do vape as
well but he first tried it on his own his freshman year of college. When asked
about quitting he said he would like to because both his parents and primary
doctor are worried about the long term affect that vaping could have. I asked
if he has found another vape product that is not toxic and nicotine-free and he
said he hasn’t because most vape products still have nicotine. He also said
that after a quick search online he learned that one JUUL pod is the equivalent
to a pack of cigarettes which surprised him a lot.
These interviews showed me that a
lot of people have a need but are in denial about it. For example, Lexi said
she has become aware of the detrimental effects of vaping and wants to stop but
continues because she believes she is not addicted. Another big thing I learned
from these interviews is that many of these young adults tough that these vape
products were a safe alternative. It wasn’t until they did their own research that
they realized how harmful they could be. I think using this specific market
segment was very helpful because it helped me to target the group of people who
have an increasing need for my product. This age group also showed me that they
are becoming more aware of the need for a safe alternative. I was genuinely
surprised to hear that they took it upon themselves to look up information about
vaping and that they were actively looking for an alternative. However, because
these are college students, they are very consciousness about their health so I
think another market segment that lies here is whether they attend a college or
university.
Hi Katelyn, I really enjoyed how detailed your interviews were. One thing that interested me is that those interviewed did not feel like they are addicted, but also were not able to quit because they are dependent on the product. I think that is the scariest part of nicotine/tobacco products, is that the brain has a way of twisting your dependency into less scary terms. Overall great post and I can't wait to read more further in the course.
ReplyDeleteHey there Kayelyn! I think your interviews were very in depth and detail. The fact that everyone is in denial about the negative affects seems about right, especially within our age range. The stigma with cigarettes and standard tobacco products (which is extremely well deserved) does not really reach JUULs and other vaping products. This is extremely unfortunate.
ReplyDelete