For this assignment I chose The Art of Social Media:
Power Tips for Power Users by Guy Kawasaki. This book focused on how to be
efficient and get the most out of your time, effort and money. Kawasaki also explained in depth how to have
a very compelling presence on some of the most popular social media platforms
such as Twitter and Facebook. He gives a lot of great tips for people so they
get the most out of their social media accounts. I think that this book really
paralleled with concept of social capital that we’ve been learning because
social media allows you to connect with thousands and even millions of people.
And like we mentioned these relationships that are formed can increase our own
capital and in the long run help our businesses. If I had to design an exercise
for this class I would have students create a profile on a platform of their
choice and they must use the tips Kawasaki discusses in his book. I would give
them two weeks to see which student is able to acquire the most followers and
then analyze how each student used the tips presented in the book. Before
reading this book I was expecting it to be about the obvious about maximizing
followers and interacting with them but this book proved to be much more. My
big “aha” moment came when he was going through the steps for creating a powerful
platform and he gave tips that I hadn’t heard before like digital assets. I
knew social media was a powerful tool but this book made me realize that you
can use it to ultimately build a business.
Hey there Katelyn, I did not read this book but I definitely am more intrigued now. It is nice to see entrepreneurs expand to social media. I think it is really important to adapt with the times as an entrepreneur and a person in general. There is a lot of potential with younger audiences that can be found in online platforms. Tips about maximizing followers seems interesting and definitely useful.
ReplyDeleteHi, Katelyn. I almost chose this book to read for this assignment but ended up choosing a different one, so I'm glad that you shared what you learned from it. As an advertising major, this really seems like a book I should check out. I really liked your idea for the class exercise. It's very in depth and I think it would allow students to better learn the author's tips by truly putting them into practice. I'm glad you were able to get so much out of the book and that it wasn't exactly what you expected. Great job!
ReplyDelete