Friday, April 17, 2020

Assignment 27- Reading Reflection No. 3





For this reading reflection I chose How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams. This book looks at the ups and downs of Adams career and how despite all of his failure he still managed to come up big. He also gives advice on how to succeed and explains that no career guide will work for everyone but to study others and see how you can change their method to help yourself succeed. I think this book was really relevant for this course because it focused on failure and many entrepreneurs are scared of failure and taking risks. Adams used his own multiple failures to show his readers that failure is okay especially when you learn from it. If I had to design an exercise based on this book I would have students identify a moment anytime in their life when they experienced failure. I would then have them analyze this experience and look at how many times they failed, if they made changes each time, and how this affected them and what they learned from it. I think my “aha” moment was reading about his failures because when most people say they failed at some point in their career it was usually only one or two times. So seeing Adams openly talk about is multiple failures in a way gave me some confidence and also reinforced in my mind that failure is just a part of the process and normal.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Katelyn! I also read this book for the last reading reflection and I found it really insightful as well. I think looking at how others have come to their success and what they implemented can be very helpful for a start up entrepreneur. We also have to become okay with failure and know that it will help us learn for the future. I am glad that reading this book gave you confidence to see that even the best fail time and time again. I really enjoyed this book and seeing what you took away from it that I might have missed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Katelyn! I actually have read this book, it is a great read and I am happy you chose it for your final reading reflection. Your aha moment is similar to one of mine, it is important to know that failure is part of this line of work, and picking yourself back up again and again is just as important. His career guide seems to be the most plausible out of most of the ones on the market right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katelyn, after reading your reflection of this book I feel like I should read it now. I think that it is really helpful for most people to see and understand that everyone fails, and like you mentioned everyone has multiple failures not just one or two, so it's great that the author shared his experiences with the readers. Great work!

    ReplyDelete