So this semester I started going to the gym consistently and
for my warm up I always do the stair master for 15-20 minutes. But of course,
because I was out of shape I had to start slow so I set a personal goal to
reach a speed between level 6 and 8. If you go to the gym then you know that most
people dread the stair master so for me this was important because I didn’t want
to avoid a machine just because it is hard. Each week I reached a higher speed which
was great but every time I tried my goal but I just couldn’t keep up. And this made me realize that it’s okay if it
takes me longer to reach where I want to be. I learned that I shouldn’t rush
myself just to reach a goal but instead trust the process because if I continue
being consistent and slowly getting faster I will eventually reach this goal.
Because I don’t
like failing at anything when I do fail it does leave me a bit frustrated but
then I turn that frustration into motivation to figure out a new plan or idea
to reach my goal. I think being in this class has showed me that its okay to
take risks and fail because failure may seem like a bad thing but in reality we
learn from these failures. I definitely think that after being in this class I’ll
be more open to taking risks even if failure is a possible outcome.
Hey there Katelyn, I really enjoyed this post seeing as the way you react to failure and frustration is turning that frustration into motivation. I could really use some of that energy in my life to be honest. Taking bad experiences and turning them into something to use to motivate yourself is definitely something I need to learn how to do. Not rushing towards a goal and taking your time is really smart as well.
ReplyDeleteHi, Katelyn! I personally felt your frustration with this. 20 minutes on the stair master feels like forever! I had a slightly different goal to do 25 minutes at level 8 and I struggled to get there until one day I just forced myself to do it no matter how hard it got. I like how you adjusted your method of reaching your goal to make it more realistic for you. That's definitely something I need to work on personally. I hope you're able to reach your speed goal if you haven't already! Keep working!
ReplyDelete